Inspirational Story: Great Friends

Great Friends

I think deep down everyone has a burning desire to be great. They want to be the best plumber, the best carpenter, the best mechanic, the best engineer, the best lawyer. They want to be the best dad, the best mom, the best uncle, the best cousin and the best friend. They simply want to be the best - they want to be great. It's human nature to want more for ourselves and to want more for others. We simply want to be great.

The other day a good friend of mine gave me a call. We were talking about a recent promotion that I was passed up for. I work full time as a project manager and had been told that I was going to receive a huge bonus for work well done but the compensation didn't fall through. I was offered a title change but nothing else. I wasn't in the best place and my wife and I hadn't talked in almost 36 hours because of our conflicting schedules. It was in that 36 hour that I received a call from a good friend of mine - my friend Jason. I was really upset that I had been passed for promotion because I thought there was something 'wrong with me'. Jason didn't see it that way. He asked me what had happened and listened to my story.

While we were on the phone, something happened. I'm not quite sure what happened, but I felt a shift - I felt lighter. I shared my story with Jason and he just listened. When I was all done he just said the most beautiful words. He said, "Steve, with your skills and experience you can work anywhere you want. You're going to do great things." I told him how much I appreciated his call and he told me, "No Steve. Thank-you." My heart melted. I felt like crying but I didn't. In all the years of our friendship, he never said such a thing. It was in that moment I realized what a great person he is - and in his greatness I realized how great I am. If you ever forget who you are, stop and listen to your great friends.

Make great friends and keep them forever.. It's in their greatness that lies the greatness in YOU.

Stephen Martile

Stephen Martile is a full time Project Manager and writes articles part time for his website, Personal Development Made Simple. His website is filled with insights on personal growth and his purpose is to teach and inspire others to achieve their own dreams and desires by learning from example. For more information on Stephen, go to: http://www.stephenmartile.com/



Subscribe to Quote of the Day via Email

Most Popular Posts this Week...
Brett Favre quotes and facts
Governor Eliot Spitzer quotes and facts
Governor David A. Paterson quotes and facts
Happiness
Barack Obama quotes and facts

No comments:

Get a random Famous Quote delivered to your email daily.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Amazon and Save Big and get Free Shipping on most items

Get the New iPad 2